You are querying Joanna MacKenzie | Nelson Literary Agency
As a reminder, please choose only one agent at Nelson Literary to query per project as we do actually share queries with each other. A pass from one agent is a pass from all of us for that particular project.
• High-concept, twisty, unputdownable stories with a strong voice in the areas of women’s fiction, thriller, and speculative. (Leave the World Behind by Rumaan Alam, Before I Go To Sleep by S.J Watson, Dark Matter by Blake Crouch)
• Timely commercial fiction in which the personal intersects with the world at large, and/or that explores toxic friendships and complex, challenging family dynamics. (Luster by Raven Leilani, This Is How It Always Is by Laurie Frankel)
• Heartfelt and timeless stories that you want to re-read about identity, unlikely friendships, reinvention, second acts, and women finding their voices and power, especially with touches of magic or speculative or time slips. (The Once and Future Witches by Alix E. Harrow, This Time Tomorrow by Emma Straub)
• Voicey, confident, atmospheric mysteries set in close-knit communities; creepy islands and Midwest-set are a plus. (The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman, Only Murders In The Building, the Shetland series by Ann Cleeves)
• Because I came to Chicago by way of Poland and Canada, I’m always looking for stories about the immigrant experience. (The Namesake by Jhumpa Lahiri is a longtime favorite.)
• Diverse take on Kids On Bikes narratives—if they happen to be set in the Midwest or Canadian prairies, all the better
• Elin Hilderbrand and/or Louise Penny for the Third Coast—I’d love to see something set in a resort town in Michigan
• Recent binges: The Summer of Bitter and Sweet by Jen Ferguson; Never Have I Ever; Nora Goes Off Script by Annabel Monaghan; The Partner Track
Step 1. Tell us about the author
Fill in these author-related fields.
Tell us a little about yourself and any writing credentials you may have.
Step 2. Tell us about the book
Fill in these book-related fields.
(If your book is shorter than this (such as a picture book) please include the entire text.)
Tips for formatting and pasting text
Paste in the first 10 pages of your book, or your full book proposal if your book is non-fiction.
(Tips for formatting and pasting text)
Do NOT paste images into this field.
Pasting large blocks of text can take several minutes. Please be patient.
List some books that are similar to yours. (500 characters or less)