Send a Query to Carrie Pestritto at LDLA
Thanks for thinking of me for your project! I'm a big genre fiction lover, who is particularly drawn in by unique voices, strong character development, high-concept plots, and transporting experiences. I'm currently on the lookout for the following:
—ACROSS ALL GENRES—
• Commercial fiction and nonfiction featuring BIPOC, LGBTQ+, neuroatypical/neurodivergent, and disability rep. #OwnVoices.
• Provocative, upmarket women's fiction with compelling characters and new plotlines (especially those for Millennial readers), e.g. not featuring the same upper-middle-class, suburban wife already fully explored in the genre.
• Engaging historical fiction (from about the 1800s on) showcasing a previously unfeatured perspective or an unknown aspect of history using riveting, immersive prose.
• Light, flirty romance and rom-coms with humor, modern relationships, and an escapist feel.
• Thrillers and suspense with expertly executed twists or unreliable narrators (with main characters who are not the standard cops, district attorneys, CIA operatives, etc.).
• Sassy, fun cozy mysteries that center around bakeries/confectioneries or take place in an international setting (think Baby Ganesh Agency Investigation series-esque).
• Transportive narrative nonfiction that reads like fiction.
• Prescriptive nonfiction.
• Pop science.
• Smart, piercing examinations of complex current issues. I’d love to see something exploring the unique space Asians inhabit in the racial spectrum or that dissects the psychology behind anti-science movements, e.g. anti-vaxxers, flat earthers, etc.
• Memoir with timely or fascinating subject matter. I prefer stories centering around a specific event, period of time, topic, goal, etc. (like my client Marlo Mack's HOW TO BE A GIRL) as opposed to an entire chronology of someone's life. I'm not the right fit for inspirational or medical/illness memoirs.
• Biography/history that tackles previously unknown information or approaches from a new angle.
—CHILDREN'S FICTION & NONFICTION—
• Early chapter books, MG, and YA that can be described as high-concept, tightly plotted, and inclusive (especially those that involve an adventure, mystery, or interesting character arcs/growth) with universally relatable tropes and a dash of quirkiness.
• Classical or universal stories, tropes, and relationships that have been given a fresh twist.
• Absorbing SFF with meticulous world building and anchored by a character-driven plot and vibrant relationships.
• Contemporary mysteries/thrillers with a non-school setting.
• Fun, STEM-based early chapter books or lower MG with a unique approach.
You can check out my #MSWL tweets at t.ly/FEmk to learn more. If you think we might be a good fit, please fill out the query form below.
NOTE: I will *not* accept queries emailed to me directly.
I appreciate your cooperation and look forward to reading your submission! ☺
About The Author
Fill in these author-related fields.
About The Book
Fill in these book-related fields.
(If your book is shorter than this (such as a picture book) please paste in the entire text.)
Paste in the first 1 chapters of your book, or your full book proposal if your book is non-fiction.
(Tips for formatting and pasting text)
Pasting large blocks of text can take several minutes. Please be patient.
Enter a one sentence pitch for your book.
Who will want to read your book. For example, girls under 12, fans of John Grisham, etc. (500 characters or less)