Frequently Asked Questions
FAQ for Agents and Publishers
- What does it cost to use QueryManager?
Nothing. QueryManager is 100% free. There are no hidden costs, up-charges, or costs for additional features. You get it all.
We don't charge the authors for the service either, like some other systems do.
- How can it be free? What's the catch?
- There's no catch. QueryManager is offered by the makers of QueryTracker, and it is QueryTracker's goal to provide the most accurate and current information
about agents, publishers, and queries available anywhere. QueryManager helps us do that.
Information, such as your genres of interest and open/closed status, will be used to automatically update your profile on QueryTracker. This saves us time and helps make QT's listings instantly up-to-date.
We also saw other services start up recently that offer a similar system, except they charge the authors to query. We find this practice to be despicable and so hope offering QueryManager for free can put an end to others taking advantage of authors in this way. We don't blame the agents and publishers for this. In fact, many probably don't even realize that the authors are being charged, since it isn't made clear unless you really dig into their content.
- Who owns my data?
- Do I need to install any software in order to use QueryManager?
- No. QueryManager is a web-based app, which means all you need is a modern web browser and an Internet connection.
- Can I use QueryManager from my smart phone or tablet?
- Yes. QueryManager is optimized for mobile use.
- What makes QueryManager better than using E-Mail for queries?
- Just for starters, using QueryManager will keep your inbox free of clutter and help you avoid catching a nasty E-Mail virus. It also allows you to respond using templated replies with just a click. But it does a lot more than that. Take the tour to learn more.
- If I use QueryManager, can I still accept queries from other sources?
- You could, but part of the power of QueryManager is having all of your queries contained in a centralized database. If you accept queries from other sources, you'll lose that advantage.
- What's the fastest way to learn QueryManager and how long does it take?
- QueryManager was carefully designed to look and act as much like E-Mail as possible. This makes it very easy to learn.
Please view our Getting Started page and you'll be up and running in less than a half hour.
You can also make an appointment for a live demonstration by contacting us directly.
- Do you provide a native app for my iPhone or Android?
- Sorry, we don't. The cost of producing an app would require us to charge fees, and we'd rather not do that. The website itself is highly optimized for mobile. Give it a try. I think you'll find it to be very efficient from your phone.
- Are there any restrictions on who can register for a QueryManager account?
- To be accepted into QueryManager, agents and publishers must satisfy the criteria listed here.
FAQ for Authors
- Do I have to join something in order to send a query to an agent or publisher using QueryManager?
- No. There is nothing to join and no complicated profiles to maintain. Simply go to the agent's or publisher's custom query form to send your query.
- This is free for agents and publishers, but you're gonna charge us authors, right?
- Absolutely not. You should never have to pay for the right to send a query. If anyone wants to charge you for something like that, run away.
- Can I check the status of my query?
- Yes. After you submit your query, you'll be given a custom link which will take you to the status page for your query. You'll also receive the link in a confirmation E-Mail.
- Does that mean other people can see the status of my query?
- No, your query information is private. Your Query Status Link contains a secret code which is only given to you. So don't lose that link.
- What if I lose my Query Status Link?
- I just told you not to lose it.
- But what if I do?
- You can recover a lost link by going to QueryManager.com/portal/recover and providing your E-Mail address and the title of the book. The link will be sent to your E-Mail address.
- If I change my mind for some reason, can I withdraw my query after it is sent?
- Yes. Your query status page will contain a button which allows you to withdraw.
- Can I inform agents using QueryManager when I receive an offer of representation from another agent?
- Yes. Your query status page will contain a button which allows you to do this.
- What if my file is too large to upload?
- Files on QueryManger are limited to 2MB in size. Anything larger will not be accepted.
A typical manuscript will usually be much smaller than that, but if your file contains images it may be too large. In some cases, Microsoft Word can also bloat a file
and make it too large. Solutions for either situation are below.
Usually, during querying, the agents and publishers will only want to see one or two example images to begin with. So you can remove all but a few sample images from your upload. Later, if interested, the agent/publisher will request the rest.
If the images are still too large, you should lower the resolution of the images.
For reducing the filesize of Word files (with or without images) please go to querytracker.blogspot.com/2018/02/uploading-and-emailing-manuscripts.html.
- How do I tell QueryTracker to automatically track my QueryManager queries?
- Here's an article that explains the process: querymanager.com/help/qt_linking.php
More Questions? Contact us.